StatCounter

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Blogging Through Banality

Hello my friends, I’m sorry that it’s been so long. I’m looking at the headlines for something to write about, and everything just seems so banal. I don’t care that Halle Berry is happy to run around naked, or that some star of some reality show I don’t watch is “criminally annoying,” or someone’s mother is sleeping with someone… I don’t know… In addition, I don’t want to hear any more about the mosque being built near ground zero, or how the MTA is crying poverty again or what imaginary numbers say the economy is/ isn’t recovering depending on who is slanting the news because overall it just sort of makes me feel powerless. No wonder people concentrate so much on celebrity idiocies.

I feel cooked after being out in the sun all day hauling bits of scoreboard (blocks with LED lights on them) with ropes and pulleys and constructing gantries and scaffolds. I wonder why so much of my life I’ve wound up doing things opposite of that that I’m suited for. Is it a subconscious desire to round myself out, or do I feel a need to prove something? OK, I know that I’m smarter than the average bear, but I can also fight off heat stroke while standing on top of a scoreboard, hauling up large bits of metal and fixing ballasts.

I may have mentioned this before, but I wonder how much the push for self esteem is forced consumerism. Due to books and TV shows and movies and commercials with little sad faces that look like illustrations in a Shell Silverstein book, I feel like I’m supposed to be happy and confident all the time, and that everyone else but me obviously is. So I need to buy a self-help book, (as the late great George Carlin said – if someone else wrote it, it ain’t self help!) or buy some sort of happy pill or do yoga, or something along those lines. I agree with Ayn Rand on the subject- self respect and self love comes from doing and being someone you can respect and love. But I also think that I just need to accept myself and stop imagining that everyone has their shit together but me. Our stools are all loose.

On that pleasant note, everyone have a pleasant night and a fun-filled tomorrow.

TTFN
-Tony

1 comment:

Aravis said...

No, my shit is not together, either. Maybe we should eat a little less bran.