Using the procedure I mentioned in a previous post, I found a way to make multiple screens for the adventure game app I'm developing for Android. Each room is a separate table screen-arrangement, with lots of true/false if/than 1/0 clauses to decide which and when each room is visible. I have to break each image up into tiles. Each tile then becomes a separate picture or button. I've found the awesome freeware paint program GIMP to be best for this, because it easily lets me enter the quantities for size and position of the box select tool. The easiest way for me right now is to list the starting coordinates and sizes of each column and row for each room before I start:
I then had a dilemma. I want to have text notifications across the bottom of the screen, but when I make a table, each item in a column has to be the same size as the others (the same with rows.) I decided to make another table, this one with a text window and a button to look at the inventory or show what current (if any) item is picked. Again, this requires a plethora of variables and clauses to make sure if and when something is showing. Also, I had to use a timer to make the text disappear after a few seconds. This wasn't anywhere near as simple as it should be, but I have it figured out.
Yes, this was my bedroom. I've tried to turn back the clock to the way my parents' house was back in the 70's and 80s.
I have two worries right now. First of all, I don't know what happens when I run out of room in the block editor. I've just started and it's already pretty full. Second of all, there are a lot of functions for each room. I'm trying to keep a list of what procedures I have to do for every new room or line of text, but I can see that debugging is going to be annoying.