Friday, July 27, 2012

I'm flattered, BUT...

If there's one image of mine that constantly gets hits, it this: 

This was my first submission to Illustration Friday years ago, and it seemed to go over well.  I read online about google's reverse-image service, and found quite a few pages using it.  Many give me credit, all kept my signature... and almost all kept the copyright notice.  Now, I myself have been guilty of posting images I've found on the net on my blog, so I don't want to be hypocritical - but a little linkback WOULD be nice.  Therefore, I'm going to place this in the comments of every page I find:

"Hello, I'm Tony LaRocca.

I couldn't help but noticing my drawing on your site, and while I'm flattered, it IS copyrighted.  (For future reference, no one has to say that a work is copyrighted for it to be so, although it is clearly marked.)  Here is the original 2005 posting on my blog.


Now, as I said, I'm flattered. I'm not going to threaten DMCA action or even ask you to take it down.  To be honest, I'm quite happy for the exposure.  All I'm asking in good faith is could you please, at the bottom of your post- put the following link:

"Image (c) 2005 Tony LaRocca"  and link it to my blog - http://egotisticalproductions.blogspot.com/

Thank you very much.  I'm so glad you thought my image illustrated what you wanted to say.

TTFN
-Tony"

Any thoughts?

TTFN
-Tony

2 comments:

Isabelle said...

Ho you are way more polite then me on your emails to those taking your artwork!! haha... but I think this is a very good approach (now please reassure me and tell me it worked!! I need to know that they actually did give you the minimum: credit!! On my part, I have seen so many work being taken... I know it goes with the web-territory but I still think people out there should respect the artists.

Some of my friends (illustrators) have had their work stolen... one girl even took multiple illustrations (from well knows illustrators) and made an gallery exhibit out of it!! hehehe can you believe the nerve?? She did took down her own website when all these illustrators started emailing her. Really really bad. :) Anyway... hope you got at least the credit you deserve for the usage of your art. :)

Amanda said...

Ha ha. Is the one in blue hiding a brick behind his back? The copyright thing is a pain, but good that people have at least mentioned your name.