Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Illustration Friday: Freeze



Please click the image for higher resolution.

The Illustration Friday word this week is Freeze. For those who are interested in such things, here was my process:

First, I created a figure in Poser, exported him to 3ds Max, flattened him a bit, and put him at the edge of a cylinder I had made with surface noise:
 

Next, I exported this figure into ZBrush, and used various smoothing tools to make my frozen man and his tree more organically entwined: 


I took pictures of various tree barks in the neighborhood, layered them on top of each other, erased parts, flattened the image, equalized the levels, and liquified the seams until eventually I had a composite tree bark I liked (scaled down here to about 1/4th its size):

I exported my merged tree back into 3ds Max and applied the bark with a cylindrical wrap.  Next, I used the AEC extended foliage to make branches.  Once I was happy with the result, I added AEC trees in the background, along with some glowing mist.  I rendered the background and foreground separately so I could composite them in Photoshop.  This allowed me to easily blur the background to achieve a depth of field effect, and adjust the levels and tone until I had the wintery effect I wanted.  

Enjoy!

TTFN
-Tony

3 comments:

Coreopsis said...

Interesting process--interesting result.

I really really like the texture of it, and his embeddedness.

chelle hanna said...

Impressive, innovative and spooky.

Sherri Oliver said...

All I can say is WOW!