Thursday, October 04, 2012

Blurred

It's ridiculously warm and humid for October. The doors are warping. 

Everything is blurred, I don't know what to think or feel anymore. I just know I can't sleep, because I'm always afraid for the people I love and wondering if they're ok. No one wants to tell me what's going on. But I guess everyone feels that way after watching the debates.

I went for a walk early this morning. I put my earbuds in, but didn't actually listen to anything. An Asian woman came up to me about a mile out, flailing her arms in the darkness. She led me around the corner, where an elderly Jewish man (with a yarmulke) lay in the street, blood around his face. He had had some sort of episode, fell, and his glasses cut into the bridge of his nose. He was moaning and responsive. I called 911 and waited for the ambulance. I put his bag under his head  stood in front of him and waved my arms whenever traffic came so he wouldn't get hit. A few people pulled over and asked if they could help. One man knew the gentleman and called his wife. Soon the ambulance came and the paramedics took him inside. Friends and family were better for him than a stranger, so I went on my way.

The odd thing is that I've called 911 from this intersection before. A mentally ill woman was wandering in the middle of the street, shouting to herself while cars whizzed by her. I came across another elderly man collapsed on the pavement once, but that was right outside of his apartment building. Sometimes we're in the right place at the right time for others, even if we can't ever seem to be for ourselves.

TTFN
-Tony

2 comments:

Ted Blackman said...

Wow, I hope there is a person like you nearby if god forbid, I ever fall down and crack my crown.

Tony LaRocca said...

@Ted - I just hope you stay on your feet! :)