Friday, November 30, 2012

Working for the man every night and day

Today was a happy day.

It's also been a very long day. I volunteered for the first generator standby shift, which means my workday pretty much goes from 7am to 12:30am. The upshots are that I get a day's pay at x1.5, but even better, I get tomorrow off. Three day weekend!

I'm sitting in the freight entrance because it's the only place in the building with heat. If I have to turn one of the main switches on, I get to wear the flash suit. Whenever I do (and of course everything is OK,) I make a point of saying (in my Marvin Martian voice,) "Where's the kaboom???" Fortunately for everyone, like all my jokes, this never gets old.

What does get old is having to sit and meditate in a port-a-potty when it's freezing cold. I can't decide which I hate more, having to take an old-fashioned sit-and-think in a port-a-potty when it's freezing at night, or during a hundred degree day in August. Why choose? I can be an equal opportunity hater.

I'm in the sub basement now. It's 11:17. The new water pumps aren't working right. Every once in a while they ask me to check the amperage. I have not been asked to play with the control wiring - yet.

Yay, I'm out of here. Happy days, my friends.

TTFN
Tony

1 comment:

String said...

I do not envy you, the job you describe! Yikes! Gloom and Doom...but you are putting positive perspective into it all, which is commendable and necessary!