Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Dreams and Childish Misunderstandings

I had a dream last night that I won a million dollars, and FedEx delivered the check. The driver was really scrungy looking, and heavily insinuated that she deserved a tip. I felt embarrassed, so I looked in my wallet for a twenty. She kept pressing against me and looking into my wallet, despite me repeatedly telling her to back off. Finally, I got pissed off, and said (ala the Soup Nazi) "No tip for you!" Went inside, and slammed the door in her face.

I had a conversation with my sisters via chat about misunderstandings children have, and the secret, false truths we cling to when we're a kid. For example, I would say the rosary at least once a night when I was a kid, because I was convinced if I didn't, bad things would happen to the people I loved. I would also say fifteen Hail Marys in a row instead of ten, just to show God I meant it. Also, after my grandfather died (when I was seven, I think) I used to pray that I would die in my sleep, so I wouldn't have to miss anyone else in my family.

Oh yeah, and I was convinced that I killed him, because I used to ask him to turn of his heater when the Muppet Show was on, because it caused interference. (Back in my day, kids, we had antennae, and electric devices and airplanes flying overhead used to make the picture all fuzzy...)

Sometimes we don't realize this as a parent. I can't remember who said it, but parents are butterflies who forget what it was like to be a caterpillar. For example, when my son was young, I would tell him that I wanted him to be self-sufficient, so he could take care of himself. Little did I know I was planting the fear in his mind that I was going to die soon and leave him. Kids can hold onto these secret fears without telling their parents.

Being a kid is fun, but it can also really f you up.

TTFN
-Tony

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is interesting to look at the thinking of children. They have an egocentric type of thinking so they often believe they are the cause of the good and bad things that happen in their world. It is a type of magical thinking, which is also seen in religion and other superstitious belief systems. Many religions believe in performing rituals and saying prayers and chants in order to effect the world around them.

This is a egocentric thinking is a normal stage in child development, but unfortunately as you have pointed out so well, it can really mess a kid up.

When I was young I used to think that I was responsible for all the fights my parents got into. It can be very tough being a kid.

Tony LaRocca said...

And to think, when I was a kid, I wanted to be a priest! That would have been interesting ;)