StatCounter

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

The Joys of Magical Thinking

(In response to a comment on yesterday's post.)

Here's something that fascinates me:

Magical thinking IS real. We all control the universe with our minds, every second of our lives. Well, maybe not the entire universe, but definitely this planet.

You don't believe me? I'll prove it.

Stand up, walk to the nearest person, and say something affirming, or confusing. Anything from "You're a spiffy person, do you know that?" to "The Cookie Monster rises at midnight!"

Hey, you don't even have to go that far. Just take a deep breath and blow, spewing some of your own personal bacteria into the atmosphere. Bonus points if you have the flu and work in a crowded office.

The point is, our brains, every day, turn our thoughts into actions, which change our world. Hell, even woodlice do it.

See how easy that was? If you want to change the universe with your mind, make a decision, and do it. Let us meditate upon this, electrician style.

Ohmmmmmmmmm

TTFN
-Tony

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been meditating on your thoughts regarding magical thinking and I agree with what you are saying. I do believe that our thoughts have a strong impact on our thoughts, actions and words. Is this considered magical thinking? or is magical thinking when we think that our thoughts have an impact on other people and outside events? or are both things magical thinking?

I do agree that our words and actions can have a positive, neutral, or negative impact on outside events and other people. When thoughts LEAD to action and words, but what about just having a thought?

Let's just look at our thinking. Just our thinking. If I sit and think of good thoughts about a person I never see or have never met, will that have an effect on them?

If I sit and think that by having the thought that I will one day get cancer will make me get cancer. will that cause me to get cancer? can just my thought on its own, make that happen? (I know someone who has felt this way)

if we look at prayer. If just by praying that I won't ever get cancer, will that thought make it never happen? Is it possible to have that kind of control over the universe with just our thoughts?

maybe it's time for the alcoholic's prayer.

some things in this world are beyond mind control.

Tony LaRocca said...

No, but convincing yourself that something horrible is definitely going to happen no matter what can make your life miserable, and that can change the lives of those around you.

I understood what you were trying to say, that none of us can do the Jedi Mind Trick, but I still think the fact that our thoughts change the world (albeit through our actions) is still pretty amazing.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you.

Anonymous said...

http://evolutioncounseling.com/magical-thinking/

I like exploring this topic. I keep looking at multiple points of view. thought you might find this view point interesting.