StatCounter

Thursday, January 08, 2015

Je suis Charlie

Yesterday, terrorists killed twelve people at French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, including four political cartoonists. Their crime: making cartoons that satirized Islamic terrorism. (Insert honest but obligatory "I don't believe all Muslims are terrorists" here.) My heart goes out to their families and loved ones. We still live in a world where people fear the spread of ideas so much, that they feel violence is an appropriate response.

My entry for "Draw Mohammed Day"

I'll leave this with the tongue-in-cheek censored ending to South Park's  episode "201," which inspired Draw Mohammed Day back in 2010:

Kyle: That's because there is no goo, Mr. Cruise. You see, I learned something today. Throughout this whole ordeal, we've all wanted to show things that we weren't allowed to show, but it wasn't because of some magic goo. It was because of the magical power of threatening people with violence. That's obviously the only true power. If there's anything we've all learned, it's that terrorizing people works.

Jesus: That's right. Don't you see, gingers, if you don't want to be made fun of anymore, all you need are guns and bombs to get people to stop.

Santa: That's right, friends. All you need to do is instill fear and be willing to hurt people and you can get whatever you want. The only true power is violence.


TTFN
-Tony

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you. I have heard people often say that children should fear their parents because if they don't they won't obey. I have never believed in "ruling by fear". I have always tried to talk, teach and lead by example.

I am deeply saddened by this terrorist attack in Paris and all violence around the world.