Thursday, September 01, 2016

Second Person Ramblings or I just gotta be whoever the internet doesn't care about me being

One day, you wake up and realize that you're no longer a square peg trying to fit in a round hole, you've basically hammered yourself into some sort of octagonish shape with rounded corners.

Then another day you realize most of humanity feels this way and you should really just stop whining about it.

So you decide that you're just going to stop worrying and enjoy life. 

Then you feel fat, lazy, and unsatisfied with anything, and you realize that if you want to keep your job and be able to take care of those who depend on you, you have to keep proving you're useful. "Coffee's for closers only!"

Once again, you realize most of humanity has come to this realization, and you should really stop whining about it.

Then you realize you're talking about yourself in the second person, and it probably sounds dickish.

Is dickish a word?

I've realized that I get annoyed by the inner monologue of a lot of characters in books by a certain extremely famous author, because they sound extremely judgemental, and I wonder if that's how normal people are supposed to think. Is that the secret of his success, emotional superiority and manipulation?

I hung out with an up-and-coming stage/TV actor the other night, and he told me that an actor's number of twitter followers factor into whether they get a role or not. Really? That must be maddening. I mean, you can buy a thousand followers in Africa for like $20, or so I'm told, but still, to have to worry about your online persona, to never be real or honest (not saying this person is not real or honest online, just saying that I would feel like I was forced not to be.)

Oh well, time to put my pants on. Everyone have a good one.

TTFN
-Tony

2 comments:

String said...

We are in strange times indeed - good blog - It's all about marketing isn't it? The more 'followers' supposedly the more reach...has nothing to do with reality. We encounter this in the music business where you can pay to get YouTube views. We have opted out of it, having views from actual connected viewers - in some ways this is about integrity and making a determination about what to promote. If people don't 'see' you or your art - whatever it may be, does it still exist? ;-)

Tony LaRocca said...

If you get a chance, check out the South Park episode, "You Have Zero Friends." It's a pretty funny look at how online personas can have a "life of their own." ;)

As far as buying likes and followers, it's reached a point where the threshold has been raised to a ridiculous level. You need to have a hundred thousand followers to be noticed.

As far as art for art's sake, it's six of one, half a dozen of the other. Not to whine, but I have to honestly admit to myself that I'm killing myself for nothing publishing independently, Nobody will take you seriously unless you have a traditional publisher behind you - but I want to finish my series first. ;)